The revised plans (see the item below) for the Oriental Bay cycleway have been approved by the Wellington City Council. (For more information, see the article in the DominionPost "Green Light for New Cycleways on Thorndon Quay, Evan's Bay and Oriental Parade".)
Accordingly, the Council chose to disregard the various recommendations that OBRA (in conjunction with Rex Nichols) included in its last submission. This submission is attached.
We are disappointed, because we believed that these recommendations were:
- for the benefit of all Wellingtonians, as well as local residents,
- recognised the reality of the current complex mix of users,
- endeavoured to achieve balance, and promote fairness and safety for all.
However, we can say that the revised plan as approved is at least a major improvement on the draft plans as initially proposed in the early stages of consultation last year.
We are pleased to advise that Council continue to consult with us on various implementation issues, including
- speed limits and various signage
- education and enforcement steps to achieve appropriate behaviour
- design of the “transition” areas at the beginning and end of the new cycleway path.